Arduino Advice on my Personal Router

discussions about other machines, tools and gadgets
AloeVeritas

Arduino Advice on my Personal Router

Postby AloeVeritas » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:10 am

I am building a CNC machine for personal projects. I have gone through multiple YouTube videos and instructables and I know what machine I am going for. More specifically, I would like to build a relatively small machine with 3 axis, a solid base and all movements in a gantry.

The problem is that I would like to use an Arduino as the controller with a compatible grbl board. I have chosen the gShield but I have heard complaints of them burning up on X portion without warning.

I need some advice on Arduino compatible setup. I am also stuck in choosing Nema 17and 23 steppers. I am building a small DIY and I am tempted to go for 17’s even though 23’s can function for a longer time. Which of these should I go for?

FireCNC

Re: Arduino Advice on my Personal Router

Postby FireCNC » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:20 am

You are doing some good job there. I there is one point you are missing though. That Nema is a specification of size and has little or no relations to the capacity of the motor.
In my case, my CNC is controlled by the Pi. I have Dual H bridge motor controllers for each axis.
Nema is a specification of size and has little to no bearing on the motor's torque or capacity.
I'm using a Pi to control my CNC.I also have Dual HBrige motor controllers for the axis that I have connected to stepper motors. Finally, I secure a shell in my Pi and launch a script to analyze the G codes and manage the motors. Except for Pi, H Briges and motors, I have got everything I require at home depot.
Never let any mechanical device know that you are in a hurry.

Flagship

Postby Flagship » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 am

I know the Arduino Mega joins to the existing parallel driver boards. That is connects all the 3 axes on the same board. I am not certain manufacturer the separate board uses.
I recently bought a 3-axis driver from Sainsmart for my lathe. I am still in the process of wiring the digital input-output on the mega which communicates to parallel port on the board. I will be done with this in a few weeks.

shaPeoko

Postby shaPeoko » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:28 am

I ordered my package through synthetos. They have an awesome customer service. If I can remember well, my Z axis broke down just after a month of use. I contacted them and the a free replacement immediately.
Currently, I am using Shapeoko for my daily operations. I go for any strong Nema 17’s and so far I have not experience any issues. When the belt slips before the motor skips, it shows that there is a setup error. Therefore you can correct the error or contact an expert to help you with the setup.

AloeVeritas

Postby AloeVeritas » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks every one for your opinions. :P :P :P :P
Is there anyone with an experience with TB6560 single axis controller? Is it better to use 3 separate boards as opposed to 1?

Anon1121

Postby Anon1121 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 am

My PC uses same driver that is 3 on the same board. So far I have not had issues with the setup. I am still curious to know what other people think between using 3 driver board and a separate board for each axis.
Currently, I am setting up a CNC 3020 mill to operate from an Arduino Mega. By using RepTeir firmware as a prototype for my CNC laser. I hope this works, so that I can use the same controller for everything.

Breathe

Postby Breathe » Sun May 10, 2015 7:54 pm

AloeVeritas wrote:Thanks every one for your opinions. :P :P :P :P
Is there anyone with an experience with TB6560 single axis controller? Is it better to use 3 separate boards as opposed to 1?

I think I could offer some insight on this. Since the chip is from Toshiba, you can be sure that it is the real deal - and it is not going to stall on you. The most important thing is that you should keep an eye out for the voltage: otherwise, there is no reason you may not use one board.
Edit: Werdz

yesman

Postby yesman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:43 pm

The single axis board will serve you right. There isn't much difference between the two when it comes to durability.

yesman

Postby yesman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:45 pm

I suppose your choice was in some way affected by the prices. Am i right?

AloeVeritas

Postby AloeVeritas » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:34 am

You and Breathe are talking some sense.

Return to “Other machines, tools and gadgets”