Engraving Speed

Other technical advice, how to engrave on wood with a 30$ laser for example
Striker

Engraving Speed

Postby Striker » Sun May 15, 2016 3:30 pm

This goes for those who have built or know about laser engravers. I am currently building one for myself. I would love to know the maximum engraving speed that I need to plan for when I will be engraving. I need something that moves pretty faster.

Mordred

Re: Engraving Speed

Postby Mordred » Thu May 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Striker wrote:This goes for those who have built or know about laser engravers. I am currently building one for myself. I would love to know the maximum engraving speed that I need to plan for when I will be engraving. I need something that moves pretty faster.
There is plenty of speed to choose from. However, it depends on the material that you are engraving. I do engrave acrylic and wood at a speed of around 10-12 cm per second at 10w.

Striker

Postby Striker » Thu May 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks for that, but what could be the required step over to the next pass? Does it depend on material and focus only? What is the typical value?

Mordred

Postby Mordred » Thu May 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Striker wrote:Thanks for that, but what could be the required step over to the next pass? Does it depend on material and focus only? What is the typical value?
You are absolutely right. It depends mostly on the material. The general thumb of rule is that a .1mm is the best target. In my laser, the spot size ranges between 0.1mm to 0.2mm. This depends on the focus.

Striker

Postby Striker » Thu May 19, 2016 2:04 pm

From what you are saying, my calculations tells me that it would take up to 40 seconds to engrave an area of 1 x 1 inch at .1mm step over and at about 280 ipm. I am I right to say so?

Mordred

Postby Mordred » Thu May 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Striker wrote:From what you are saying, my calculations tells me that it would take up to 40 seconds to engrave an area of 1 x 1 inch at .1mm step over and at about 280 ipm. I am I right to say so?
yeah, that’s right.

Striker

Postby Striker » Thu May 19, 2016 4:41 pm

What if I want to double the speed at some point? What will I do?

grammyawarder

Postby grammyawarder » Thu May 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Striker wrote:What if I want to double the speed at some point? What will I do?
Increasing the laser power will help double the speed but it also depends on the result that you want. i.e. the depth of engraving.

Return to “Other technical advice”